On the third day of Ways and Means Committee work on their $3 trillion tax hikes and spending package, Democrats defended handouts for the wealthy and special interests while refusing to invest in health research or protecting life-saving cures.
CLICK HERE for a summary of the amendments Democrats rejected on Day Two.
CLICK HERE for a summary of the amendments Democrats rejected on Day One.
On Day Three, this is what Democrats did:
Democrats stood with the wealthy and special interests to defend wasteful tax breaks paid for by the Middle Class. The tax breaks they defended include…
- …a $2.5 billion loophole for wealthy Ivy League universities. Watch Rep. Tom Reed (R-NY) offer the “No Tax Shelters for Ivy League Elites” amendment.
- …green energy tax subsidies that are paid for on the backs of ordinary Americans, including for big businesses with income over $5 million, and corporate buyers of electrical vehicles. Watch Rep. Ron Estes (R-KS) offer the “Green New Deal Elimination and Middle-Class Family Protection” amendment, watch Rep. Tom Rice (R-SC) offer the “Corporate Welfare Elimination” amendment, and watch Rep. Jason Smith (R-MO) offer the “Middle Class Won’t Pay for Corporate EVs” amendment.
- …reinstating the SALT tax haven for millionaires instead of funding cancer research and extending tax cuts for the middle-class. Watch Rep. Adrian Smith’s (R-NE) offer the “Cancer Cures Instead of SALT Tax Shelters for Millionaires” amendment. Watch Rep. Tom Rice (R-SC) offer the “Working Families Before the Wealthy and Well-Connected” amendment.
- …subsidizing special tax credits for the highest earners and big businesses and failing to secure the future of telehealth. Watch Rep. David Schweikert (R-AZ) offer the “Bipartisan Connect” amendment.
Democrats also rejected Republicans’ efforts to safeguard working Americans from tax hikes and government overreach. Democrats defended…
- …increasing tobacco taxes that disproportionately affect low- and middle-income Americans. Watch Rep. Drew Ferguson (R-SC) offer the “Preserving Personal Choices” amendment.
- …raising prices faced by American families already struggling with Bidenflation by hiking Superfund taxes. Watch Rep. Carol Miller’s (R-WV) “American Consumer Price Protection” amendment. Watch Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-TX) offer the “American Family Pocketbook Protection” amendment.
- …raising crippling taxes on Main Street and working families regardless of high unemployment and rising prices. Watch Rep. Kevin Hern (R-OK) offer the “No More Price Increases for Working Families” amendment. Watch Rep. Lloyd Smucker (R-PA) offer the “American Worker and Jobs Protection” amendment.
- …monitoring Americans’ bank accounts and providing massive, additional mandatory funding for an army of IRS agents. Watch Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA) offer the “Protecting Families and Small Businesses from a Supercharged IRS” amendment.
Democrats prolonged Americans’ suffering from chronic illness and costly care because they…
- …chose greater Washington control over health care, instead of investing money into cures and research for diabetes. Watch Rep. Ron Estes (R-KS) offer the “Investing in Better Health amendment” amendment.
- …subjected life-saving cures and treatments for rare diseases to Speaker Pelosi’s price-setting scheme. Watch Rep. Kevin Hern (R-OK) offer the “Preserving Hope for Cures” amendment. Watch Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) offer his amendment.
- …widened health care disparities for minority and underserved communities who are disproportionately affected by chronic medical conditions by imposing price controls that would kill life-saving cures and treatments. Watch Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH) offer the amendment.
- …chose to do nothing to address the root causes of the rising cost of health care rather than support affordable health care reforms. Watch Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) offer the “Help for Medical Bills” amendment.
- …will import foreign nations’ dehumanizing valuation of seniors’ lives by negotiating prices for drugs based on what other nations think seniors’ lives are worth. Watch Rep. David Schweikert (R-AZ) offer the “Protecting the Value of Seniors’ Lives” amendment.
And finally, Democrats may add even more tax increases on the Middle Class and small businesses to pay for handouts to special interests, the wealthy, and large corporations after the bill leaves committee by…
- …leaving the door open to raising taxes after they complete work in committee – opening the tax code to unprecedented partisan changes. Watch Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-TX) offer an amendment defending Ways and Means jurisdiction over tax policy.