Democrats have declared war on work and Main Street businesses with policies that pay workers more to stay home than work. As a result, Main Street businesses are struggling to reopen and hire. Here’s what you need to know:
Explainers and FAQs:
- Democrats’ War on Work Hurts Main Street Businesses
- Democrats’ Partisan Unemployment Insurance is Subject to Rampant Fraud
Main Street America In Their Own Words:
- The Job Market Is Tighter Than You Think (WSJ, April 2021)
- Businesses scramble for help as job openings go unfilled (AP News, April 2021)
- Why Restaurants Having More Job Openings Than Available Workers Means A Hiring Frenzy Is On The Way (Forbes, April 2021)
- Shipping boxes, delivering shots, manning the sales floor: Vaccine jobs boom doesn’t match all skill sets (NBC News, April 2021)
- Economic Growth Is Set to Surge. Hiring Might Not Keep Up. (WSJ, April 2021)
- Unemployment Is High. Why Are Businesses Struggling to Hire? (New York Times, April 2021)
- A Florida McDonald’s is paying people $50 just to show up for a job interview, and it’s still struggling to find applicants (Business Insider, April 2021)
- Businesses are struggling to hire workers — and say Uncle Sam is to blame (New York Post, April 2021)
- America’s companies are struggling to hire workers back. It risks derailing the economic recovery. (Business Insider, April 2021)
- There are now more jobs available than before the pandemic. So why aren’t people signing up? (NBC News, April 2021)
- As Diners Return, Restaurants Face a New Hurdle: Finding Workers (The New York Times, April 2021)
- Prospective Hires Plied With $1,500 Signing Bonuses and Pizza (Bloomberg Law, April 2021)
5/11/2021: NOW HIRING: Record 8.1 Million Job Openings Show Employers Struggling to Hire
The Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) report released today reaffirms what we’ve been saying for months: Democrats’ expanded taxpayer-funded unemployment benefits are crushing Main Street’s hiring efforts.
5/7/2021: After Dismal Jobs Report U.S. Chamber Sounds Alarm on Democrats’ Extended Unemployment Benefits
After Democrats’ devastating job’s report, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce joined State Governors, Main Street businesses, and other constituent groups in sounding the alarm that federal unemployment benefits are keeping Americans on the sidelines. The Chamber of Commerce called for an end to the $300 weekly jobless aid in President Biden’s runaway spending package.
4/27/2021: Brady Applauds Senate Republican Back to Work Bonus Legislation
Top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee Kevin Brady (R-TX) applauded U.S. Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Mike Crapo (R-ID) and Sens. Jim Risch (R-ID) and Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) for introducing the Back to Work Bonus Act to help Main Street businesses struggling to find workers.
4/26/2021: Experts: Low-Income Workers in Jeopardy by Democrats’ War on Work
Main Street businesses and job creators are eager to hire back their workers, but Democrats’ expanded unemployment benefits are crushing their hiring efforts.
4/20/2021: Walorski on Newsmax: Let’s Get Americans Back to Work
Top Republican on the Worker and Family Support Subcommittee Rep. Walorski (R-IN) appeared on Newsmax to discuss how enhanced unemployment benefits are making it difficult for businesses to hire workers and Republicans’ Back to Work Bonus Act.
4/19/2021: Main Street America: Expanded UI Benefits Are Crushing Our Hiring Efforts
Main Street businesses are having trouble reopening because unemployment insurance benefits have discouraged Americans from returning to work, according to a new NBC Nightly News report.
4/12/2021: LETTER: Biden Must Stop Wasting Americans’ Tax Dollars in Fraud & Improper Payments
At the very moment Democrats are pushing to raise job-killing taxes and make the expanded refundable Child Tax Credit permanent, billions of taxpayer dollars are already being lost in improper payments in a similar program.
3/26/2021: Brady Introduces Return to Work Bonus Legislation
This bill will help local businesses rebuild their workforce quickly by turning enhanced unemployment benefits into a back-to-work bonus that will provide a bump to workers and help accelerate our economic recovery.
3/24/2021: REPUBLICAN MEETING: Main Street Businesses Seek Relief from Democrats’ War on Work
Main Street employers shared their experiences with how enhanced unemployment benefits have discouraged Americans from returning to work and slowed the re-opening of the American economy during a public Ways and Means panel hosted by Republican Leader for the Worker and Family Support Subcommittee, Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-IN).
6/5/2020: Brady: Return To Work Bonus Crucial For Economic Recovery
In light of the Labor Department’s May jobs report, top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee Kevin Brady (R-TX) called on Congress to pass his Return to Work bonus proposal.
6/3/2020: Brady’s Return to Work Bonus Proposal Gains Steam
What people are saying about Ways and Means Republican Leader Kevin Brady (R-TX)’s Reopening America by Supporting Workers and Businesses Act of 2020.
6/1/2020: Brady Introduces Return To Work Bonus Legislation
5/29/2020: Brady Discusses Return to Work Bonus Proposal on Squawk Box
House Ways and Means Republican Leader Kevin Brady (R-TX) joined CNBC’s “Squawk Box” to talk about how we help Americans get back to work through a “return to work” bonus.