Democrats have declared war on work and Main Street businesses with policies that pay workers more to stay home than work. As a result, Main Street businesses are struggling to reopen and hire. Here’s what you need to know:
Explainers and FAQs:
- Democrats’ War on Work Hurts Main Street Businesses
- Democrats’ Partisan Unemployment Insurance is Subject to Rampant Fraud
- Democrats’ Reckless Tax and Spend Agenda Puts American Jobs on the Line
- Fact Check: President Biden Is Falling Short of His Jobs Promises
Main Street America In Their Own Words:
- Dems’ Spending Spree: Tax Hikes for Families & Taxpayer Dollars for Fraudsters (Fox Business, August 2021)
- REPORT: Business Leaders Fear Bidenflation and Dems’ Tax-And-Spend Agenda (Business Leaders Survey, August 2021)
- Slashing the Small Business Tax Deduction Hurts U.S. Workers (Chicago Tribune, August 2021)
- The Job Market Is Tighter Than You Think (WSJ, April 2021)
- Businesses scramble for help as job openings go unfilled (AP News, April 2021)
- Why Restaurants Having More Job Openings Than Available Workers Means A Hiring Frenzy Is On The Way (Forbes, April 2021)
- Shipping boxes, delivering shots, manning the sales floor: Vaccine jobs boom doesn’t match all skill sets (NBC News, April 2021)
- Economic Growth Is Set to Surge. Hiring Might Not Keep Up. (WSJ, April 2021)
- Unemployment Is High. Why Are Businesses Struggling to Hire? (New York Times, April 2021)
- A Florida McDonald’s is paying people $50 just to show up for a job interview, and it’s still struggling to find applicants (Business Insider, April 2021)
- Businesses are struggling to hire workers — and say Uncle Sam is to blame (New York Post, April 2021)
- America’s companies are struggling to hire workers back. It risks derailing the economic recovery. (Business Insider, April 2021)
- There are now more jobs available than before the pandemic. So why aren’t people signing up? (NBC News, April 2021)
- As Diners Return, Restaurants Face a New Hurdle: Finding Workers (The New York Times, April 2021)
- Prospective Hires Plied With $1,500 Signing Bonuses and Pizza (Bloomberg Law, April 2021)
Top Republican on the Worker and Family Support Subcommittee Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-IN) spoke out against Democrats’ crippling $3.5 trillion tax hike and spending package noting that Democrats’ dangerous expansion of the welfare state will give Washington more control over Americans’ family decisions.
Biden Jobs Deficit More than Doubles to 627k Jobs Short of Promises.
Top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) joined Fox Businesses’ “The Evening Edit” and Mario Bartiromo’s “Wall Street” to discuss the tax fight facing Congress – and how Democrats are set to raise crippling taxes that will devastate American workers, middle-class families, and small businesses.
The Government Accountability Office (GAO) must investigate the greatest theft of American tax dollars in the nation’s history, according to a new letter by U.S. House Ways and Means Republican Leader Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) and U.S. Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID), and Republican Leader of the Subcommittee on Worker and Family Support Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-IN). Despite fraud in COVID unemployment insurance programs crossing multiple federal agency jurisdictions, no single entity has determined the actual scope or severity of unemployment fraud. Taxpayers need to know how much fraud has occurred and what actions are necessary to prevent future fraud, which takes resources away from those in need and puts them in the pockets of criminals.
Families’ Budgets Shrinking Every Month President Biden in Office.
The Labor Department’s State Employment and Unemployment report confirms that GOP governors who answered House Republicans’ call to end unemployment bonuses that paid many jobless more to stay home than to work are seeing greater job gains in their states.
For cash-strapped American families, higher prices are here to stay – and will only continue to rise with Democrats’ $3.5 trillion spending spree.
5/11/2021: NOW HIRING: Record 8.1 Million Job Openings Show Employers Struggling to Hire
The Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) report released today reaffirms what we’ve been saying for months: Democrats’ expanded taxpayer-funded unemployment benefits are crushing Main Street’s hiring efforts.
5/7/2021: After Dismal Jobs Report U.S. Chamber Sounds Alarm on Democrats’ Extended Unemployment Benefits
After Democrats’ devastating job’s report, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce joined State Governors, Main Street businesses, and other constituent groups in sounding the alarm that federal unemployment benefits are keeping Americans on the sidelines. The Chamber of Commerce called for an end to the $300 weekly jobless aid in President Biden’s runaway spending package.
4/27/2021: Brady Applauds Senate Republican Back to Work Bonus Legislation
Top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee Kevin Brady (R-TX) applauded U.S. Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Mike Crapo (R-ID) and Sens. Jim Risch (R-ID) and Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) for introducing the Back to Work Bonus Act to help Main Street businesses struggling to find workers.
4/26/2021: Experts: Low-Income Workers in Jeopardy by Democrats’ War on Work
Main Street businesses and job creators are eager to hire back their workers, but Democrats’ expanded unemployment benefits are crushing their hiring efforts.
4/20/2021: Walorski on Newsmax: Let’s Get Americans Back to Work
Top Republican on the Worker and Family Support Subcommittee Rep. Walorski (R-IN) appeared on Newsmax to discuss how enhanced unemployment benefits are making it difficult for businesses to hire workers and Republicans’ Back to Work Bonus Act.
4/19/2021: Main Street America: Expanded UI Benefits Are Crushing Our Hiring Efforts
Main Street businesses are having trouble reopening because unemployment insurance benefits have discouraged Americans from returning to work, according to a new NBC Nightly News report.
4/12/2021: LETTER: Biden Must Stop Wasting Americans’ Tax Dollars in Fraud & Improper Payments
At the very moment Democrats are pushing to raise job-killing taxes and make the expanded refundable Child Tax Credit permanent, billions of taxpayer dollars are already being lost in improper payments in a similar program.
3/26/2021: Brady Introduces Return to Work Bonus Legislation
This bill will help local businesses rebuild their workforce quickly by turning enhanced unemployment benefits into a back-to-work bonus that will provide a bump to workers and help accelerate our economic recovery.
3/24/2021: REPUBLICAN MEETING: Main Street Businesses Seek Relief from Democrats’ War on Work
Main Street employers shared their experiences with how enhanced unemployment benefits have discouraged Americans from returning to work and slowed the re-opening of the American economy during a public Ways and Means panel hosted by Republican Leader for the Worker and Family Support Subcommittee, Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-IN).
6/5/2020: Brady: Return To Work Bonus Crucial For Economic Recovery
In light of the Labor Department’s May jobs report, top Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee Kevin Brady (R-TX) called on Congress to pass his Return to Work bonus proposal.
6/3/2020: Brady’s Return to Work Bonus Proposal Gains Steam
What people are saying about Ways and Means Republican Leader Kevin Brady (R-TX)’s Reopening America by Supporting Workers and Businesses Act of 2020.
6/1/2020: Brady Introduces Return To Work Bonus Legislation
5/29/2020: Brady Discusses Return to Work Bonus Proposal on Squawk Box
House Ways and Means Republican Leader Kevin Brady (R-TX) joined CNBC’s “Squawk Box” to talk about how we help Americans get back to work through a “return to work” bonus.